Mattar Paneer ~Cottage Cheese & Peas Curry~
GM Day 5. Today is the “feast day”. It has been said “You will eat beef and tomatoes. Eat two 10 oz. portions of lean beef. Hamburger is OK. Combine this with six whole tomatoes. On day five you must increase your water intake by one quart. This is to cleanse your system of the uric acid you will be producing. The beef is for iron and proteins, the tomatoes are for digestion and fibre. Lots and lots of water purifies your system. You should notice colourless urine today. Your allowance calls for the equivalent of five “quarter ponders”. Do not feel you have to eat all this beef. You must eat the six tomatoes.”
Yesterday I went to the grocer and bought half a kilo of paneer, couple of packets of soya chunks and a packet of tofu. Hopefully between today and tomorrow – I’ll manage to get some iron into me! I was just reading up on iron in veggies – save chickpeas & tofu no other fruit, nut or veggie has iron comparable to the levels in red meat. So what I am planning is a combination of foods that are high in iron & protein and low in calories.
For b’fast I made masala scrambled egg using eggwhites and 2 large tomatoes. And for lunch we had Matter-Paneer since both peas & paneer are loaded with proteins. I am saving the tofu and soya chunks for later. Here’s a practically 0 oil version of Mattar Paneer that’s a 10 on taste.
Cinnamon sticks – 1, 2
Turmeric – 1 tsp
2. Heat oil in a deep pan and sauté the cinnamon, 2 cardamoms, and cumin – followed by onions, ginger & garlic.
3. When the onions become translucent add the tomatoes and fry on high burner for about a minute.
4. Now add a little water to the pan and let the tomatoes et all cook up and lose shape.
5. Lower the flame to minimum and now add all the dry masalas one by one i.e.. turmeric, chilly, garam masala, coriander pdr, salt and sugar. Mix well and let the masalas bind for about a minute.
6. Now add the green peas, followed by a cup of water. Cover and cook on medium flame till the peas are cooked, or if using frozen peas then let the mixture boil for a couple of minutes.
7. Next drop in the paneer cubes and again cover and let the curry come a good boil, reduce the flame to a minimum and let simmer for about 2 minutes.
8. Transfer the matter paneer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
You can have Mattar Paneer with Roti/Paratha or some Jeera Rice.